Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Ornamenting Polymer with Pearl Ex powdered pigments

As I develop a feel for the new polymer cuff bracelets
I am working on, more depth and color are developing.
The base of this bracelet was created by mixing black with green until I had a deep forest green color. The polymer was carefully mixed to a uniform color and rolled through a pasta machine at it's thickest setting. Next I rolled my leave roller stamper on a pad of jet black ink and imprinted the sheet of polymer with the leaf design.
After applying the sheet to the brass cuff base and molding polymer sheet to the shape of the cuff, I trimmed the edges with a sharp craft knife so that the polymer covers slightly over the edges of the cuff. Then gently stroked the edges with a gloved finger to create a subtle rounded edged effect. This creates a smooth comfortable finish. I was very careful to keep my fingers only in contact with the brass blank so that I didin't disturb the finely shaped edges . I had several colors of Pearl Ex powdered pigment set out for use and had preselected the colors before I began. Using a very fine, soft, eye shadow cosmetics brush, I stroked Pearl Ex pigments in different shades to produce a dynamic play of color in the foliage, while leaving the borders around the leaves their original deep green. As this was all Premo Sculpey polymer, I cured the bracelet in the oven at 275 degrees Farenheit for 30 minutes. Surface protection of several coats of "Future" have been applied to protect the beautiful colors and I had pre-plated the cuff with 24K Gold prior to starting the project. Each bracelet is a unique and exciting adventure. I hope this mini tutuorial is of some help! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me!
Create something today! Hugs, Mona

No comments: